Translate

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Balance Checklist

We have a lot to keep track of on a daily basis; so much that we frequently forget the importance of balance. Every day is a balancing act so there are days when our physical wellness may not have been as important as our intellectual wellness, or perhaps our emotional wellness took precedence over social wellness. Remember that each dimension of wellness ties into each other & striving to maintain and improve this balance is the key to success.

**Do NOT confuse this with striving to be "perfect."**

Balance is stability. 
Balance is an even distribution of weight.
Balance is harmony.

Balance in your life should evoke peace and calm; not more stress. Avoid the notion that balancing your life can only be done a certain way. As mentioned above, every day is different and requires a balance (catching on yet?) of activities, focus, and energy. This takes a fair amount of discipline. Believe that you have the ability and capacity to be successful. Don't be afraid to adapt a "Me First" kind of attitude. This is your time to be great. Take advantage of it.


Here are a few questions you can ask yourself to help maintain your balance throughout the day and week.

Physical:
Did I eat well today? Did I exercise in some way for at least 15 minutes? Am I sleeping okay?

Emotional:
How am I feeling today? If I'm not happy with my emotions, how can I change this?

Intellectual:
What did I learn today? this week?

Occupational:
What have I accomplished today? Did I study/practice enough today?

Environmental:
What did I notice about my environment today? Is there any way I could improve it? (A clean workspace is a happy workspace!)

Spiritual:
Did I make time for relaxation today? Have I meditated lately? What are my values/beliefs/principles? Do I accept the views of others?

Social:
What's going on at school this week? Are there available opportunities to meet people? What kind of fun activities can I participate in?

These are just a few examples of the many ways you can check in with yourself regularly. Don't worry about being able to balance everything overnight. Remember that the wellness journey is a process. Therefore, there is no "perfect" or "end." It is a daily practice.


No comments:

Post a Comment